The Elements of a Home reveals the fascinating stories behind more than 60 everyday household objects and furnishings.
Brimming with amusing anecdotes and absorbing trivia, this captivating collection is a treasure trove of curiosities.
With tales from the kitchen, the bedroom, and every room in between, these pages expose how napkins got their start as lumps of dough in ancient Greece, why forks were once seen as immoral tools of the devil, and how Plato devised one of the earliest alarm clocks using rocks and water-plus so much more.
• A charming gift for anyone who loves history, design, or decor
• Readers discover tales from every nook and cranny of a home.
• Entries feature historical details from locations all over the world, including Europe, Asia, North America, and Africa.
As a design historian and former managing editor of Design*Sponge, author Amy Azzarito has crafted an engaging, whimsical history of the household objects you've never thought twice about.
The result is a fascinating book filled with tidbits from a wide range of cultures and places about the history of domestic luxury.
• Filled with lovely illustrations by Alice Pattullo
• Perfect as a housewarming or wedding gift, or for anyone who adores interior design, trivia, history, and unique facts
• Great for those who enjoyed The Greatest Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder, and Stupefy by Rick Beyer, An Uncommon History of Common Things by Bethanne Patrick and John Thompson, Encyclopedia of the Exquisite: An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights by Jessica Kerwin Jenkins
Amy Azzarito is a writer, a design historian, and an expert on decorative arts. Her design work has been featured in a wide range of publications, including the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Whole Living magazine, and the Wall Street Journal . She is a frequent contributor to Architectural Digest and Design Milk . She lives in Marin, California.
ServicesInform Interiors associates are more than just “salespeople”. We are a team of passionate, knowledgeable, professionals, well-versed in interior design and architecture. We would be more than happy to assist you with space planning, furniture selections, and interiors storytelling. More information on our range of services can be found HERE.